Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Cloth Diaper Experiment

Practicing on stuffed animals

After months of research I'm going to give it a try, cloth diapering. A year ago I would have never imagined myself saying that but after spending another couple thousand dollars on disposable diapers, I swallowed my pride.

Now I'm convinced that cloth diapers are the way to go for our family. At first I was scared of the mess. I have heard horror stories from my mom, aunts and grandma about cloth diapers. And of course the, "We didn't have a choice when our kids were babies. We didn't have disposable diapers." I have always been thankful for the conveniences we have today, however, I hear that cloth diapers have evolved significantly in the past couple decades.

I also learned that disposable diapers contain A LOT of chemicals. Apparently disposables contain super absorbent gel-like crystals that are linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome. Remember that recall on Pampers this past year? Babies in cloth diapers experience fewer diaper rashes too.

Cloth diapers are also better for the environment. It takes like five hundred years for a  diaper to break down. What is so "disposable" about that? Manufacturing disposable diapers requires tons of plastic and hundreds of thousands of trees too. It makes me feels guilty to know we use that much of our resources just for a diaper that last a couple of hours. And then to think something that was only used for a couple of hours is going to spend hundreds of years in a land fill! Ok... I'll drop it for now. I'm turning into a tree hugger.

Anyways, last night I ordered some cute diaper covers. Hopefully next week we can make the switch for good. (It'd be a waste if I didn't use the disposable diapers we already have right? lol) Check back to hear how it goes. Wish me luck!

*********************************
Click here to learn how to wash cloth diapers.
Click here to read about our first three months using cloth diapers.
Click here if you'd like more information about how to use cloth diapers.

They looks so cute!


2 comments:

  1. WOW! This is the second post about this. I am not sure how much longer KP is going to be in diapers but maybe its worth making the switch now, instead of waiting for our 2nd baby.....hmmmm...?? Let me know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy reusable diapers in an adjustable fits all size. The ones I ordered work for 8-36 lbs! You can use them for KP and then for baby number 2!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...