Thursday, April 21, 2011
Confessions of a Mom
Some of yesterdays events inspired me to write about some of my "Confessions" as a Mom. I guess there are a few things I just need to get off of my chest.
1. I didn't want kids. I'm happy that God blessed me with children but until a couple of years ago they were never in my plans.
2. I look forward to going to the grocery store. I stay home with the boys for at least 50 hours a week. I really look forward to getting away no matter what the reason.
3. I HATE Barney and Friends.
4. Losing pregnancy weight is much harder than I ever imagined. I had never had a problem losing weight before in my life. It's as if my metabolism suddenly realized I am not a teenager anymore and came to a sudden halt.
5. I hated breastfeeding. I felt like a fat dairy cow. I was exhausted and it wasn't fair that I had to take care of every feeding!
6. I felt like I had to breastfeed both my boys or I would be a horrible mother. After all, "breast milk is best for your baby." I know breast milk is the healthiest choice but it doesn't always work out and I felt super guilty when it didn't work for us.
7. For Mother's Day, what I really what is a day away from my kids. A "me" day.
8. I didn't enjoy every minute of pregnancy. Especially not the morning sickness, nausea, stretch marks, Braxton Hicks contractions, back aches, pinched sciatic nerve, insomnia and weight gain. However I loved feeling baby kicks and hearing the heat beat over the monitor. That was absolutely amazing every time.
9. I don't appreciate unsolicited advice. For example, if you happen to notice my stretch marks (not easy to miss) please keep your remarks to yourself. If you say, "You should have put some cocoa butter on those," I might not say anything to you but I'm probably ready to bite your head off or snap back at you. And just for the record, I did use cocoa butter everyday and still got stretch marks.
10. Even though car seats save lives, they are a huge pain in the rear end.
11. I don't like changing diapers. I don't mind changing diapers but I certainly don't enjoy it. I've been in situations where a child needs a diaper changed (ie, nursery) and when it comes to decide who will change the diaper, it's always a mom. "oh she's a mom, she likes changing diapers." Really?! No way!
12. Baby carriers never get any easier to carry.
13. The last book I read was by Dr. Suess.
14. I always carry around baby wipes.
15. I have a song from Seasame Street stuck in my head right now.
16. The last movie I saw was by Disney.
17. Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever had to do!
What's your mom confession? I know you have some.